Fall Checkup 2021/秋の定期検診

When I got remission and was asked by the doctor whether to continue the examination or graduate, I considered very much about the early detection of recurrence and the damage to my body.

I would be exposed to light radiation by CT scan, and even though I had continued the examination, I had to undergo surgery because of its poor accuracy. Although I complained of chest discomfort, I didn’t blame the doctor at the time who showed me a photo which indicated anything. But there's no guarantee that it won't slip through the scan again. Endoscopes carry the risk of injuring the gastric tube by a poor technician, and in fact, my throat sometimes hurts for several days.


Even so, in the end, I decided to continue the examinations in spring (CT) and fall (endoscopy) because it was customary to enjoy the seasons of Kyoto twice a year before I got sick. It had nothing to do with medical matters, and it was a sloppy reason. However, I was disappointed, and even though it was April and October, the peak of cherry blossoms and autumn leaves continued to be a little earlier. When this fall checkup was held in mid-November, I was hoping that we could walk around the autumn leaves. No, it was still early as shown in the picture. The subtropicalization and climate disorders progress every year in Japan, and spring and fall, which used to be months, now end in weeks, and most of the year is summer or winter, so spring and fall clothes are almost useless.




So, forgetting about the seasons and heading to the city for lunch, there were a few customers in a small newly opened store before reaching the wife's favorite bakery. Looking through the window, it looks like it will be sold out soon. We entered the Bakery Hinami, which was intrigued by characters such as organic and figs. The price range is high, but my wife bought a lot. I recently learned that Kyoto people eat bakery the most in Japan, and it's true that all we took home so far were above average.


On the other hand, when it comes to restaurants, the score is mostly below average unlike reputation, and there are almost no restaurants that we would like to repeat, even after we had eaten at hundreds of restaurants in Kyoto so far. It seems that Kyoto people tend to value the appearance and atmosphere more than the taste itself, which does not suit our taste. Instead of the usual Kyogoku, there was no place that was intriguing when we went down Teramachi, so I went back and forth to the lively Nishiki Market, but decided to go back to Osaka without buying even pickles.


We got off on the way back home. After the cancer was found in 2013, I went to the radiology department at the hospital near us. I remembered the udon shop inside of the station I transferred to. It was about seven years ago. The soup hasn't changed a bit. And it's cheap. This is Osaka.




The Hinami Bakery that we had after watching Netflix was more delicious than I expected. Fig is a substitute for raisin, but it has good acidity and sweetness, and the taste, aroma, and baking of the dough made from organic flour are outstanding. Repeat confirmed.


Two weeks later, my doctor called me and there was no problem with the test. Next Kyoto will be in the middle of May next year. As expected, the cherry blossoms in full bloom would be over, but I wish we could look at the pink and green hazakura.





寛解となって検診継続か卒業かと担当医に訊かれたときは、再発早期発見と体へのダメージを秤に掛けて相当悩んだ。


CTは放射線薬剤を打つので軽度の被曝を受け続けることになるし、そもそもCT検査を続けていたのに手術するはめになったのは精度が甘いからであって、胸の違和感を訴えても何も映っていない写真を見せた当時の担当医を責めるつもりはないが、またスキャンをすり抜けない保証はない。内視鏡は、下手な技師に胃管を傷つけられるリスクが伴い、実際、喉がヒリヒリ痛むことが数日続くことがある。


それでも結局、春(CT)と秋(内視鏡)の検診を続けることにしたのは、罹患する前から、年2回、京都の季節を愛でることが習慣になっていたという、医療とはまったく関係なき、呑気な理由だった。ところが、思惑は外れ、4月と10月なのに桜も紅葉も若干早めがつづき、今年の秋が11月中旬と決まったときはひさびさに紅葉散策ができると期待していたら、なんのことはない、写真のようにまだ早いのである。日本の亜熱帯化や天候不順は毎年実感できるほど進み、昔は数ヶ月あった春と秋はいまでは数週間で終わり、一年のほとんどは夏か冬になってしまい、春物と秋物の服を着ることはほぼない。


ということで、季節のことは忘れてランチを求めて市街地へ向かうと、ワイフお気に入りのベーカリーの手前に新装開店の小さな店内に数人の客。ウインドウを覗くと、売り切れ間近な様子。オーガニックやイチジクなどの文字にそそられてベーカリーhinamiに入店。価格帯は上だが、ワイフ大量購入。日本で京都人が一番ベーカリーを食すと最近知ったが、確かにこれまで色々お持ち帰りしたすべて平均点以上だった。


一方、レストランや食堂となるとほとんど平均点以下で、これまで数百軒は食しただろうにリピートしたい店はほぼ皆無。京都人は味そのものよりも見栄えや雰囲気を重んじる傾向があるようで、私たちの嗜好に合わない。いつもの京極ではなく、寺町を下ってみてもそそられる店はなく、活気が戻った錦市場を往復したが、漬物も買わずに大阪に戻ることにした。


途中下車。罹患発覚直後、放射線科へ通った頃にたまたま立ち寄った駅ナカのうどん屋を思い出した。5年以上たつが、変わらぬ出汁の美味さ。しかも安い。これが大阪だ。


帰宅してネットフリックス鑑賞の合間に食したhinamiのベーカリーは期待以上の美味だった。イチジクはレーズン代わりだろうが、酸味も甘味もいいし、オーガニックの小麦粉をつかった生地の味、香り、焼き具合が抜群。リピート確定した。


2週間後、主治医から電話があり、検査に問題なし。次の京都は、来年5月中旬。さすがに満開の桜は終わっているだろうが、葉桜でもながめられたらいいかなと想う。


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Awaji Trip (2)

Fall Checkup 2022/秋の検診2022

Burned Down/焼失